Getting ready for a new baby is such an exciting time! This is a super special time to capture and working a professional photographer can help you feel confident that you’ll never forget this amazing experience and milestone in your life. However, it’s not uncommon to feel intimidated at the idea of getting the perfect shot. Take a deep breath and let’s start with 10 simple tips of what to wear for your maternity photo shoot.
10 TIPS OF WHAT TO WEAR FOR MATERNITY PHOTOGRAPHY
1. HIGHLIGHT THE BUMP: You want your outfit to show off your bump and highlight your pregnancy. This can be done with form-fitting clothing or empire-waist dresses.
2. BE COMFORTABLE: Choose something that fits well and puts you at ease. You don’t want to have to fuss with your outfit during the session.
3. COMPLIMENTARY COLOURS: Choose a colour pallet that suits your skin tones and personality. See more on colour below.
4. AVOID BUSY PATTERNS: Small and busy patterns and prints can be distracting and create chromatic aberration (an optical problem in the lens reading wavelengths of light).
5. AVOID GRAPHICS: Words and graphics demand our brains to read them. They draw the eye, so unless you want to make a very specific statement, avoid them in all photography.
6. LAYER UP: Consider layering clothing for added texture and depth in your photos. This could include a cardigan, blazer, or scarf.
7: ACCESSORIZE: A necklace or bracelet can add some visual interest to your outfit without taking away from the focus on your bump.
8: SHOES: So important to find comfortable shoes. Those poor feet go through a lot during pregnancy. Pretty ballet flats or dressy sandals are a great option.
9. HAIR + MAKEUP: Pregnancy can make you feel less than yourself some days. Treat yourself to pamper and leave plenty of time to do your hair and make up. If you’re feeling like an extra treat, get a haircut and style or a professional make up artist.
10: MANICURE: Your hands featured a lot in maternity photography. Give them a quick once over. This is ESPECIALLY important for your partners hands! Sometimes the baby daddy does a lot of outdoor work and that oil and grease doesn’t just wash off. You might need to get the professionals in for this one too.
5 COLOURS PALLETS FOR MATERNITY PHOTOGRAPHY
When it comes to choosing colours for maternity wear and photography, it’s important to choose colours that flatter your skin tone, compliment the location of the shoot, highlight your baby bump and overall achieve the look you are going for. Here are some colour options to consider:
1. EARTHY TONES: Earthy tones such as browns, greens, and oranges can look beautiful on expectant mothers, especially if you have warm skin tones.
2. BLUES: Shades of blue can be a great option. Lighter shades of blue can create a soft and dreamy look, while deeper shades of blue can add depth and dimension to your photos.
3. PINK AND PURPLE: Pink and purple are feminine and romantic colours. Soft, pastel shades can create a delicate and ethereal look, while darker shades can add richness and depth.
4. NEUTRALS: Creams and off-whites are classic and timeless colours that can create a fresh and clean look. They can also be great options as they can complement most locations including natural backgrounds like greenery or sand.
5. BLACK: Should be considered carefully. Black is an option for a bold and dramatic look. It is generally more formal and dressy look, however blacks can also lose depth and form very quickly in photography.
Remember, the most important thing is to choose colours that make you feel confident and comfortable. This should be a fun experience. Don’t overthink it. There is no need to go our and spend money on all new clothes either. Perhaps you already have all the basics you need in your closet and you just need one key piece to spruce it up.
WHO WILL BE JOINING THE SESSION?
You might be dressing a partner or big brothers and sisters for your session. There are some general options for what to wear in my Family Photography Blog.
ARE YOU PREPARED?
Now you’ve got the outfit, what else do you need to be prepared for your maternity photography session? Check out HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOU MATERNITY SESSION.
It doesn’t matter if this is your first or your tenth baby on the way. Each pregnancy is special. One day you can open this album to your little one and share this special moment with them. This session will be a blessing to you and them in the future. In the end, what you wore will be an after thought. What matters is who’s growing on the inside.